The Grand Duchy will also exhibit its artistic talents in Dubai. Contemporary creation will be widely involved during the development of the national pavilion.
The chosen artistic project is a perfect match to the theme of Expo 2020: “Connecting minds, Creating the future”.
As part of the overall representation of Luxembourg at Expo 2020 Dubai, which will take place from October 20, 2020 to April 10, 2021, the national cultural sector, including the contemporary creation, is widely involved in the development of the design of the Grand Duchy’s pavilion.
In association with the GIE Luxembourg Expo 2020 Dubai, the artistic committee in charge of the implementation of the cultural component of Luxembourg’s participation has selected artists on the basis of their excellence and ability to adapt to the proposed collaborative-creation conditions. The artists selected are:
- Julie Conrad (design)
- Ady El Assal (film)
- Guy Helminger (literature)
- Karolina Markiewicz & Pascal Piron (visual art)
- Simone Mousset (dance)
- Patrick Muller (music)
- Renelde Pierlot (theatre)
The artists will have to develop their artistic proposals together, as well as consult with the architect and layout designer, to incorporate their cultural and artistic facet into the overall design of the pavilion. The chosen concept will highlight the artistic potential of Luxembourg under an innovative and unifying characteristic.
The work of the artists’ collective will take place in Luxembourg and Dubai in the form of residencies for research and creation. The period of activity of the artists’ collective is fixed from January 2018 to April 2021 and the coordination is ensured by the National Cultural Fund. A first description of the works to be produced will be presented to the artistic committee and the GIE Luxembourg Expo 2020 Dubai by the end of the first half of 2018.
The artistic committee, chaired by the Commissioner General of Luxemburg Pavilion Expo 2020 Dubai, Maggy Nagel, consists of the following members:
- Bernard Baumgarten, Artistic Director of Three C-L
- Claude D. Conter, Director of the National Centre for Literature
- Patrice Hourbette, Music Director: LX
- Mathis Junet, Communications Officer for Three C-L
- Jo Kox, President of the National Cultural Funds
- Paul Lesch, Director of the National Audio-visual Centre
- Kevin Muhlen, Director of Casino Luxembourg-Forum d’art contemporain
- Lawrence Rollier, Public Relations Officer for the Theatre Federation
- Pascal Seil, Curator of the National Centre for Literature
- Paul Thiltges, Counsellor of the Filmfund
- Giovanni Trono, Music Project Manager: LX
- Barbara Zeches, Counsellor, International and European Affairs, Ministry of Culture (observer)
To learn more about the collective creation project:
Maggy NAGEL – E-mail: email@example.com – Tél.: (+352) 247-84133
Catherine KRETTELS – E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org – Tél. : (+352) 247-86617